Pages

07 April 2010

The Subtle Knife Book Review

I read this book at the beginning of the year, soon after reading the first in the trilogy, the book can be widely found and Amazon have some more good reviews and comments about it. Here is my first review for the Busy Bookworm Challenge.


This is the second book in the Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman. It was easier to read than the first and explains a lot more throughout the story. The story begins to involve more characters and as such becomes more complicated but as the writing is more fluent and easier to understand, there are no problems getting to grips with the ideas. The book takes shape in different worlds and with different stories entwined together. The interesting way Pullman brings the stories together unfolds slowly as you continue to read on. The character of Lyra becomes more lovable and although she appears quite normal in some respects you begin to see her true character forming as she is put through more trials and adventures. Her adaptable personality shows when she meets a young boy who she is told she must help, her trusting nature leads them to the stories end.
As the book draws to an end, you find yourself drawn into these mysterious worlds wanting to know more and wanting to read on.
I began reading the Dark Materials trilogy after my husband would not stop asking me when I would read it so we could discuss it. He only ever reads things he knows he will like and we don't generally read the same thing so I guess I had to be the one to start reading something a little out of my comfort zone - and I am glad I did. This was an enjoyable read and although I had been sceptical about reading this, I am keen to begin the final part of the trilogy.


What did you think about the book?

1 comment:

onebadmotherfucker said...

I thought it was ripping read. In fact I'm going to read it again, I haven't found a book since that evokes the same feelings of mystery and wonder.

But I will never, ever watch the films. NEVER EVER.